The Prayers and Squares Quilting Ministry is an interfaith ministry providing quilts for those in need of the gifts of love and prayer. Started at Hope United Methodist Church in Rancho Bernardo, Calif, the ministry now includes 78 chapters in the United States and Australia.
What is a prayer quilt?
This type of quilt is a “lap” quilt, laced with heavy thread. These laces or threads are tied with a square knot by members of the congregation after each service. As each knot is tied, a silent prayer is offered for someone in special need. It is a statement of our faith in God and or belief in His power to comfort, strengthen and heal.
Who Makes the Quilts?
Anyone who wants to, you don’t even need to know how to sew. Remember the purpose is to provide prayers though the tying of knots. A quilt, no matter how simple is a gift from the heart.
Who Receives the Quilts?
Quilts have been made for sick babies, for cancer and AIDS patients, for adults and children facing medical procedures and those facing many other crises.
Is this Ministry for You?
All are welcome to join this ministry, whether you are a quilter or not. If you’d like to be a part of this ministry, we’d love to have you. Then you, too can become a witness to the awesome power of prayer.
How to Request a Prayer Quilt
- Ask the intended recipient if he or she would like a prayer quilt.
- If the person doesn’t know about the ministry, share the purpose with them.
- If the recipient agrees to receive the quilt, ask what type of prayers they would like to receive, i.e. healing, patience, strength, guidance, etc.
- Contact the church office with the information (619-582-0852 or via e-mail)
- The quilt will then be made with love, tied with prayers and available for pickup after service on a designated Sunday.